YMCA'S DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
The Titusville YMCA is now offering the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program to help adults make lifestyle changes that will improve their overall health and reduce their chance of developing type 2 diabetes. Program components include:
- Evidence-based program shown to reduce the burden of type 2 diabetes – one of the nation’s costliest chronic diseases.
- Group-based lifestyle intervention for adults at high risk for developing type 2 diabetes that has been shown to reduce the number of new cases of diabetes by 58 percent overall and by 71 percent in adults over 60.
- Year-long program with 19 sessions in the first 6 months of the program followed by 6 monthly sessions in the second 6 months of the program.
- Relaxed classroom setting, a trained Lifestyle Coach helps participants learn skills to help them incorporate healthy eating, increased physical activity, and other behavior changes into their everyday lives.
- The goals of the program are 7 percent weight loss and an increase in physical activity to at least 150 minutes per week.
To be eligible for this program, participants must be at least 18 years old, overweight with a BMI of 25 or greater, and at risk for developing type 2 diabetes or have been diagnosed with prediabetes. People under 18 and persons diagnosed with diabetes do not qualify.
A Y membership is not required for participation. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program uses a CDC-approved curriculum and is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program.
Click here to download the Diabetes Prevention Program Brochure.